Next up in our core ranking golf ball articles is our best low spin golf balls 2021-2022 ranking list. This one pick’s up where last years left off and will be one of the ones we intend to keep going forward with in the future.
Like all of our 2021-2022 golf ball rankings we have introduced a new methodology and basis for our rankings. Now standard deviations are calculated and analyzed as a means of ranking of all of our key metrics. By doing so we have removed tendencies to incorporate any personal biases we may have. Now more than ever the numbers do the talking. By using the standard deviations, we also see a clear representation of how the ball is performing in relation to the others. We have done a similar exercise with this year’s golf bag reviews and found it extremely useful.
Since manufacturers now are trying to make balls that perform under specific conditions it is also important to understand how it will perform when those conditions are not met. Most of us are not so precise that we can replicate our swing speeds every time we pick up a club. We have also seen through our analysis that there very often is very small differences in actual performance. This is why standard deviations are so helpful. Do you want to pay for a ball that is in the 99th percentile in cost and the 60th in performance?
Our testing spin rates during our driver testing:
- Average spin rate for 115 mph driver 2915 / Std Deviation 187.9
- Average spin rate for 100 mph driver 2763 / Std Deviation 172.1
- Average spin rate for 115 mph driver 2406 / Std Deviation 157.2
- Average spin rate for 115 mph driver 2049 / Std Deviation 189.4
So, what are we looking for when talking about the best low spin golf balls? It is important that we detail the filters that we incorporated into our data set to come up with the short list of best balls. So here they are:
- We only considered the absolute lowest spinning options (lowest 15%) across driver speeds.
- We then took the top 3 options that produced the best results in total yards.
- Iron spin was not used as a limiting factor
So only the lowest spinning options that are going to give you the best chances in getting the ball down the fairway from the tee are listed here….
Callaway Chrome Soft
Callaway has retooled their Chrome Soft golf ball in 2022. Now a 3-piece ball (previously 4-piece) the Chrome Soft keeps its soft feel and lower compression to be a very playable ball across all levels of golfers.
When comparing our results between the two versions we saw the most noticeable difference being reductions spin rates across all of our tested swing speeds. With solid distance performance the Chrome Soft is a great option for golfers looking for soft feel and low spin. While for other tested categories like peak height, that saw lower comparative results, the reality is real measures we are looking at are not substantial.
Our results and remarks:
- 16th percentile and better across all swing speeds in spin rates
- 75th percentile and better for total driving distances across all driving swing speeds
- Comparatively slightly lower ball flights/peak heights to other tested balls
- Now 3-Piece construction with slightly lower compression
New Precision Technology delivers our tightest dispersion, consistently fast ball speeds and total performance. We’ve enhanced every component and design feature to create the highest quality golf balls.
New Hyper Elastic SoftFast Core for Tour level speed, spin, and control through the bag.
New Tour Aero
Consistent ball flight at every condition with our Tour Aero design.
Why Is Chrome Soft Unique and Who’s It For?
The path to distance has evolved with the all-new TP5x. In 2017, a movement began with the optimal spin and launch conditions provided bChrome Soft 22 is designed for a wide range of golfers who want outstanding feel, excellent distance, and incredible forgiveness. Key performance characteristics include our signature Chrome Soft feel, more distance off the tee, low spinning iron shots, and a high level of greenside control.
- New Precision Technology delivers our tightest dispersion, consistently fast ball speeds and total performance. We’ve enhanced every component and design feature to create the highest quality golf balls.
- New Hyper Elastic SoftFast Core for Tour level speed, spin, and control through the bag.
- Consistent ball flight at every condition with our Tour Aero design.
- Chrome Soft 22 is designed for a wide range of golfers who want outstanding feel, excellent distance, and incredible forgiveness. Key performance characteristics include Chrome Soft feel, more distance off the tee, and a high level of greenside control.
The latest (2021) iteration of the TP5x is not a departure from its predecessor but rather a tweaking. TaylorMade’s TP5 series remains as one of the few 5-layered balls on the market. From our perspective the TP5x will be a ball that more golfers find attractive.
With higher launch angles and significantly less spin it is very manageable off the tee for golfers across all skill levels. Its low spin rates actually rated in the top echelon of balls we tested. It also gained a few more yards in the distance metrics in comparison to its sister ball putting it amongst the best in that category as well. While it does have a slightly harder feel than the TP5 it is still pleasant to putt with and would not consider this as a reason to opt away from the TP5x.
Our results and remarks:
- Averaging better than 10th percentile across all swing speeds for low spin rates
- 90th percentile + across all swing speeds in launch
- Top 30 percentile in carry and total yards for higher swing speeds
- 5-piece construction
- High peak height and decent for wedge/short game
INCREASED AERODYNAMICS WITH NEW TOUR FLIGHT DIMPLE PATTERN
The all-new Tour Flight Dimple Pattern unlocks the next level of aerodynamics while still promoting maximum carry distances and a steep angle of descent for stopping power, especially on long irons.
TOUR DISTANCE, COMPLETE PERFORMANCE
TP5x is our fastest and longest Tour ball, featuring a 5-layer design with four increasingly stiff layers enclosed in cast urethane. It delivers unmatched performance off the tee and on the approach, without sacrificing feel on the scoring shots.
IMPROVED GREENSIDE SPIN & FEEL
While maintaining the formula that makes TP5x a leader in speed and distance, we’ve added a softer cast urethane cover for increased groove interaction on greenside shots for more spin and improved feel.
THE PATH TO DISTANCE
The path to distance has evolved with the all-new TP5x. In 2017, a movement began with the optimal spin and launch conditions provided by our 5-layer construction. Then we increased ball speed with the HFM Speed Layer and now we’ve added advanced aerodynamics with the new Tour Flight Dimple Pattern.
- NEW Sifter Urethane and HFM Speed Layer System
- Layer Construction, Seamless Tour Flight Dimple Patter, and Cast Urethane Cover
- Fastest Ball Speed, Higher Launch,
- High Spin, and Soft Feel
Vice Pro Soft
Vice has been extremely successful in getting their balls to market in the last years. If you need proof, you can check our Off Pist ball rankings where you can see that they ranked very close to 5th in balls found during the course of our play last season. Vice’s Pro Soft is ideally set up for golfers reaching average swing speeds and looking for that soft touch. Its low driver spin rates make it well suited for those golfers prone to not square the club face generating excessive spin rates. The 30% savings vs premium tour balls also does not hurt.
Our results and remarks:
- 50th percentile ball speed (driver)
- 70th percentile launch (driver)
- 16th percentile spin (driver)
- 8th percentile spin (mid iron)
- 93rd percentile peak height (mid irons)
- 70th percentile total yards
- Ball showed higher and better comparative results on low range of average swing speeds
- Short game stopping power boosted by steep decent more than ball spin
- 3-Piece construction with cast urethane cover
- High Energy Speed Core (HESC) for higher ball speed and distance off the tee
- Extra-thin cast urethane cover for maximum feel and short-game spin
- New 318 large dimple design for stable trajectory
- Outstanding distance paired with extra-soft feel and feedback off the clubface
- Excellent short-game spin thanks to stick to the green (S2TG) technology
- New glossy, shiny finish
- Newly designed KIL line with sharp edges for optimal alignment
- Advanced players with medium to low swing speeds (< 95 mph driver swing speed)
- 3 piece cast urethane cover
- Low compression for extra-soft and responsive feel
- Extremely durable 336 dimple design
- Improved visibility during ball flight thanks to matte neon lime finish