We are in the final quarter of the year and the holiday season will soon be upon us. For those who like to get ahead of the season to save from last minute shopping panic we have started to put together our wishes from Santa with our best golf Christmas gifts 2021 list.
We have had the opportunity throughout the last year to get our hands on some pretty nice golf gear. For a non golfer we understand that trying to find the right gift might be a challenge. So, to give golf “significant others” a hand, we have picked the items that we thought would make great gifts ideas for your favorite golfer. We add a thank you on behalf of all golfers. Not only do you tolerate our time consuming passion you even are supporting it 🙂
With our playing season is winding down, we are actually spending a little more time doing trials and testing these days. As such, we will keep this list updated. Anything new that pops up in the final stretch of the year that is suitable for Santa will also get added.
If you don’t find exactly the golf Christmas gifts that you had in mind dont worry quite yet. There is lots of other ideas out there so feel welcomed to take a browse through our other lists. Maybe there is something there that catches your eye.
Garmin Approach R10
The Approach R10 represents Garmin’s initial product offering into the launch monitor market. Launched in the second half of 2021 the R10 has already been very well received amongst many golf enthusiasts. This really should come as no surprise since Garmin has been consistently amongst the front runners in combining golf and GPS and tracking technologies for many years now. With the R10 Garmin has delivered perhaps the best price vs performance ratio in the personal golf launch monitor market today.
When we finally got our hands on the R10 the first thing we noticed is the simplistic and eye catching design. The magnetic tripod mount is secure and stabilizes the unit extremely well making it a fuss free set up which is not always the case with portable launch monitors.
As mentioned, to date ithas been unheard of that a personal launch monitor anywhere near this price could track 14 different metrics but the Approach R10 has changed the game. During our trials we set the R10 up alongside the my Mevo+ and we were able to consistently produce numbers that we deviating Approach R10 between the two launch monitors by 1-2%.
There have been some comments regarding reduced accuracy while using indoors. While I don’t feel there should be any performance drop off as compared to the other portable units in this respect all of our trials were performed outdoors so we can’t validate this for certain.
Like other portable units you do require a smartphone/iOS device to be able to run the R10 but the device easily pairs with the Garmin golf app being the hub to enable all functionality. While we concentrated on how it performed on the range the Approach R10 is packed with additional functionality and perks such as E6 Connect compatibility, a massive course library for simulation use including tournament possibilities, statistics tracking and video editing options. Some of these do require additional fees but there really is no end to how far you can go with the R10.
So, if you are looking for a top end personal launch monitor at a fraction of the cost you would expect than the Garmin Approach R10 is currently we feel the best option available on the market.
- Work to improve your game at home, indoors or on the driving range with a portable launch monitor
- Track key metrics when paired with a compatible smartphone with the Garmin Golf app to help better your shot consistency, including club head speed, ball speed, swing tempo, ball spin, launch angle and more
- Understand your golf strengths and areas for improvement by using training mode, which tracks stats for each club and shows a shot dispersion chart based on estimated ball flight using the Garmin Golf app
- See and analyze your own swing with automatically recorded video clips that include the metrics of that swing when paired with a compatible smartphone with the Garmin Golf app
- With an active subscription and the Garmin Golf app, play virtual rounds on over 42,000 courses around the world and take part in a weekly tournament with scores posted to our global leaderboard
- Included phone mount easily attaches to a golf bag for better viewing and easier interaction with the Garmin Golf app
Lululemon Engineered warmth jacket
The Lululemon Engineered warmth jacket is not specifically branded as a golf jacket as much as Lululemon itself does not manufacture a dedicate golf line of apparel. What they do however is make exceptionally well-made products that with top quality materials and attention to every detail. Supporting the claim is the fact that this Canadian company has been selected as the official outfitter for the Canadian Olympic team beginning with the 2022 Winter games.
The Engineered warmth jacket has a 100% merino wool Interior face which is soft against the skin and helps the body maintain is regular body temperature. The 4 way stretch material contours your body incredibly well without leaving you feeling constrained at any point during a full swing. When I tried gave it a try, I did not fell I was wearing a jacket anymore than feeling like I am wearing a perfectly fitting golf glove. When looking at sizing options keep in mind it is a slim fit sizing so for those who don’t quite fit that description you might need to size up.
The jacket is lightweight but does provide a little more warmth that similar weighted jackets so it is perfect for when cooler temperatures kick in. It is not a winter jacket but it will be more than adequate as a shoulder season garment.
What I also loved about the jacket is that it is not a “golf” jacket but still out performs many on the market. So, for those of you who like to have your own style, you are less likely to be teeing up with someone wearing the same outfit. Not to mention you would also have a hard time finding better looking athletic outer wear so transition to the 19th has never been easier.
So, for those of you who are not familiar with the Lululemon brand the Engineered warmth jacket would be a great place to change that.
- Lululemon Engineered Warmth Jacket
- Designed to perform outdoors. This merino wool-blend jacket has an engineered knit that creates a 3D texture for added warmth, and four-way stretch fabric for range of motion.
- Designed for Training Soft, Merino Wool-Blend Fabric Slim Fit
- Interior face of fabric is 100% merino wool, which is naturally thermoregulating and soft against skin Please refer to care content label for fibre content details Four-way stretch
- Zippered pocket with a hidden phone sleeve
2021 Masters Performance Tech Golf Polo Shirt
- Direct from the Grounds of the Augusta National Golf Club
- Performance Golf Shirt in Moisture-Wicking Stretch Fabric
- Embroidered Masters Logo
- UV Protection
Garmin Approach Z82
We had our hands on many rangefinders in 2021. But after all the trials there was little doubt that the Garmin Approach Z82 stood above the rest. There was just too much technology and features packed into this rangefinder to be overlooked.
We can start by saying it is the only rangefinder in our rankings with GPS and when coupled with the 41K preloaded courses in the Approach Z82 you never are in doubt of not only the distance to the flag but are instantly aware of the flag position and shape of the green as well as all of the hazards along the way. The imagery and graphic display of all of the information is intelligently done so not to make it cumbersome for the times you just want a straight reading of the distance to the flag.
The Approach Z82 keeps pace with the market standard 6X magnification but the clarity of the image when looking in the rangefinder is a notch above most. One of our group compared it to be looking at a monitor. And with the image stabilization finding the flag even at the Approach Z82’s 450-yard range is manageable without much effort. It is slightly larger than the other option’s on our rankings but it fits comfortably in the hand and automatically turns on when you take a proper grip of the unit.
What most golfers are looking for these days from their rangefinder is slope calculations to give a hand for those holes when towering over a green. The Approach Z82 not only is able to calculate slope but when coupled with the Garmin golf app can also factor in the current wind conditions to give you the most accurate distance evaluation possible.
And then accuracy…… an unreal +/- 10 inches!!! This is of course a level of accuracy that is far beyond what more than most golfers can exert on the flight of a golf ball. However, the bigger point is the demonstration of just how well the Z82is made.
While some prefer the changeable lithium battery I will side with the environment and support Garmin’s internal rechargeable lithium-ion battery. With approximately 15 hours of charge there is more than enough time to find yourself the occasion to recharge the unit.
The only place where we felt that the Approach Z82 did not hit the mark was on the warrantee. At one year it is the we might have expected a little more. Now having said it, we have yet to have a reason to exercise the warrantee after more than a year’s constant use.
There are many other great features in the Z82 such as the find my Garmin application that allows you to track the GPS via your mobile device in the case it would fall from your bag and tournament mode that quickly disables the slope functionality to be compliant with golf regulations.
If we have not done enough to convince you then I would suggest you get your hands on one and give it a test for yourself because it really is a great piece of equipment.
- Most accurate laser range finder on the market within 10” of the flag, up to 450 yards
- Image stabilization makes it easier to find and range the flag for precise distances to the pin; vibrational feedback lets you know when you’ve locked in
- Full-color 2-D CourseView mapping for more than 41,000 courses worldwide overlaid on the viewfinder
- The Laser Range Arc feature draws an arc on the 2-D CourseView map at the distance the laser ranged, so you can see everything in play at that distance
- Hazard view allows you to quickly scroll through each hazard on the map