We will change things up a little with our Best lightweight golf bag 2021/2022 rankings list. It is the next article included in our updated golf bag reviews. Before we explain how this list differs from our others it is important that you understand the new methodology, we implemented to calculate the scores for the gear.
The data collected during last year’s 200+ bag reviews was used to come up with a bias proof rating methodology. To avoid repetition, we won’t go into great detail here on the calculation method. If you are interested in how the scores are derived then take a look at Best golf bags for 2021/2022 master ranking list where it is explained in more depth. There you can also see all of the golf bags we have reviewed across all sub-categories in 2021/2022.
If you have read the new scoring methodology, it explains how our statistical baselines are created by bag type. This means that all direct correlations are restricted to bags of the same type. To make it simpler, a score of 65% for a carry bag cannot be ranked against a score of 63% for a stand bag.
What is important to remember is:
- Our new scoring methodology does not hand out 98%. It is virtually impossible given the tradeoffs that happen between price and features.
- The calculation methodology guarantees top ranked bags will provide you with the best price-quality ratio.
Now hopefully you have understood how we came up with the scores for the bags. Specifically for our Best lightweight golf bag 2021/2022 we added a few rules.
1 – We have limited inclusion for consideration to bags scoring 60%+
This is the level we perceive top options begin to rate based on the formula that is used.
2 – We have excluded carry/Sunday bags from inclusion
Sunday bags are specifically designed to be smaller and lighter. To compare standard bags against them would not make sense. We have a dedicated rating to Sunday bags where you can find the best options available.
3 – We rank the top bag according to its weight, not the score
Since this is a ranking for the lightest bags, our top 3 options will be ranked as per the lightest. All standard bag types are included for consideration here. Since our scoring system is based on comparisons within individual bag types, we have decided to make weight be the absolute priority provided it passes the first two rules.
If you understand everything up to this point then there is just one last bit of information, we thought might be of interest to you. While making our calculations for our standard deviations we came up with the average weight per bag type. As a point of comparison here they are:
Average weight by bag types:
- Stand bag 4.83 lbs
- Cart bag 6.06 lbs
- Tour bag 10.16 lbs
- All bags 5.82 lbs
Under the new format, all of our 2021/2022 rankings lists are dynamic and limited to our top 3 choices. Here is no different. As new products come to market of course the list may change. If you check in from time to time you will see how the rankings evolve. Remember, it really is early in the year so there is around another 9 months before we draw the line and move everything forward 1 year, so things will change.
Hopefully our rankings list can help you find a bag and take some weight off your shoulders 🙂
Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand Bag
Sun Mountain’s 2.5+ stand Bag floats above the rest. In the first round of bags, we reviewed for our 2021/2022 rankings lists here is the lightest. So, for those of you looking for a good golf bag that won’t weigh you down here it is. Its 2.9 lbs and 61.50% ranking score will be hard to be as the year goes on.
- USD 230 RRSP
- 2.9 lbs
- 4 Dividers
- 9.0” top
- 6 Total pockets
- Velour-lined pocket
- Valuables pocket
- New accessory pocket
- Ball pocket with two-way zippers
- Beverage pouch
- X-STRAP® Dual Strap System
- Highly durable carbon fiber legs
- Matching rainhood
Sun Mountain 2.5+ Stand Bag managed to get to the top of a rankings by dominating one feature category, being the lightest. It still delivers a solid set of other options and features that get it into consideration but its 2.9 lbs delivers the knockout blow
- Six pockets include a full-length apparel pocket; a velour-lined, valuables pocket; a ball pocket with two-way zippers; a beverage pouch; and a new accessory pocket.
- Lightweight, high-strength-to-weight plastic top with a comfort-grip handle.
- X-Strap System is easy to get on and off and works well as a single strap for short carries.
- Ultra-lightweight, highly durable carbon fiber legs.
- Matching rainhood included.
- 9.0" Top, 6 Pockets, 2.9 lbs, 4 Dividers
Izzo Golf Ultra-Lite Stand Golf Bag
Izzo Golf has been making golf bags for some years now and their Ultra-Lite Stand Golf Bag has gone through a few iterations but the latest model may be the best yet. Deservedly one of the top ranked bags with a 70% score.
- USD 130 RRSP
- 3.2 lbs
- 4 way top
- Customizable ball pocket
- Umbrella Holder
- Integrated SmartGRIP Handle
- Dual Strap
- Rain Hood
- High Strength 4200 Polyester Fabric
Izzo Golf Ultra-Lite Stand Golf Bag made it to the top of the rankings quite simply by understanding the needs of the market segment for which they are targeting and doing it better than most. They have positioning their product to meet those demands perfectly….
Light, functional, durable and economic. It is a winning formula everytime!
- Lightweight Golf Bag: At only 3.2 lbs, our golf stand bag is exceptionally easy to carry
- Exceptional Organization: Our lightweight golf bags feature a 4-way top designed to keep your clubs safe and secure; Full-length club dividers help keep your clubs organized and ordered
- Exclusive Features: Our golf stand bags include exclusive features like an Umbrella Holder, an integrated SmartGRIP Handle, a Dual-Strap carrying system, and a Rain Hood
- Durable Construction: Our golf bags are constructed from high-strength 4200 polyester fabric that not only lasts but also looks great
- Designed For Walkers: Light weight designed for the golfer who walks, but is still equipped with all the organizational and storage features you crave while on the course
FastFold Orbiter Stand Bag
The Fastfold 7″ Stand bag Orbiter Rain Dry’s score of 73.5% places it amongst the very top golf bags across all golf bag segments that we have so far tested.
While many golfers may not be aware of the Fastfold brand it has seen rapid growth in the last years. Originating in the Netherlands, its name is becoming synonymous for high end products at very reasonable price points
- USD 135 RRSP
- 3.77 lbs Weight
- 7.0” top
- New ultralite top and bottom
- 4 way divider
- 3 pockets incl. 1 cooler pocket
- Towel holder
- 5 Colors
The high ranking was realized by its extremely affordable price and favorable weight that both rated at the very top side of the market. In addition, it checked the boxes of the majority of features golfers are looking for. Our only negative, on what is otherwise an exceptional golf bag, is the limited number of pockets.
The FastFold Orbiter Stand Bag is actually part of Fastfolds’ 2021 line. We didn’t get our hands on it until later in the season so we are really looking forward to testing the 2022 additions when they come to market.
- The Fastfold Orbiter Stand Bag is a lightweight, extremely portable, waterproof stand bag for all your golfing needs
- The Fastfold Orbiter Stand Bag has a NEW ultra-lite top and bottom featuring a dual strap design for carrying ease and maximum comfort
- Furthermore, the Fastfold Orbiter Stand Bag features a 4-way divider to store your clubs and keep them dry with the included rain hood and waterproof construction
- There are 3 pockets including a cooler pocket as well as a towel holder for storing any miscellaneous items you might need
- Available in 5 stylish choices: Red/Blue, Blue/Yellow, Orange/Light Blue, Black/Beige, and Black/Silver