We know that we are thinking to the future a little bit when writing about the best new golf launch monitor’s 2021/2022 given that we still have some months left in the 2021 season. But as manufacturers are now already beginning to launch their product lines for next year and some of the upcoming holidays, we are getting our hands on some products that were not available during some of our initial product trials. One of which is Garmin’s entry into the personal launch monitor market with the Approach R10.
Maybe we should have added the term “personal” to the article title but let’s just say it is inherent. With our recommendations we are trying to reach out to the majority of golfers and very few golfers are actually in the market to buy a TrackMan or FlightScope X3. So to include these in any type of product comparison is futile since they are just in a different league.
We have had to come back to the article and make a few text changes. Up until now the Approach R10 held the rankings to itself but now the market has moved and shaken things up a little. And with some of the news we are hearing there most likely will be further additions on their way during the year.
As mentioned, earlier in 2021 we did review some of our best picks in the launch monitor market. Those reviews can be found in our Best launch monitor under 1000 dollars and Best budget launch monitor articles. We do not plan to amend those articles since in the years going forward we will just push this rankings list one year forward. So expect towards the end of 2022 to see our 2022/2023 rankings list track our latest product reviews.
Now that the competition has heated up and 2022 has kicked off keep checking back to see how things progress. Who knows what other changes are in store for our Best new golf launch monitor’s 2021/2022 rankings list.
FlightScope Mevo+ & Pro Pack
The Flightscope Mevo+ was already a product that we were extremely impressed with last year when we reviewed it as part of our Best budget launch monitor article. What has changed since then? A LOT!!
So much so that we feel it is worthy of adding it to our Best new golf launch monitor’s 2021/2022 rankings.
I actually brought my Mevo+ to a training session with my golf pro this past season. He asked me to bring it along not having had the opportunity to ever give one a try. By the end of the session, he was thoroughly impressed. While his overall review of the product was overwhelmingly positive, he did note there was a few metrics he felt were not included. Some of which added value to his normal teaching sessions such as Club Path.
Flightscope’s Mevo+ Pro package has changed all of that!
All of the metrics my pro had come up with and then some have been bundled into the Pro Package update bringing the Mevo+ unquestionably to the front of its class. It of course does not come for free and it does not come cheap, but for an additional USD 1000 (purchased seperately direct from the manufacturer) you will have brought the Mevo+ at par with many of the big players in the launch monitor market. Even when adding the price of the base unit and the Pro Package together it comes at a fraction of the cost. It also allows you some flexibly on your spending since you can opt to add the Pro Package at a later date.
All told the Pro Package adds 11 more key parameters to the already impressive standard 16 included in the Mevo+ base model.
16 Standard parameters
- Carry Distance
- Club Speed
- Smash Factor
- Apex Height
- Flight Time
- Ball Speed
- Spin Rate
- Vertical Launch Angle
- Horizontal Launch Angle
- Lateral Launch Angle
- Angle of Attack
- Total Distance
- Roll Distance
- Spin Axis
- Spin Loft
- Shot Shape
11 Pro Package parameters
- Club Path
- Face Path
- Face to Path
- Face to Target
- Vertical Swing Plane
- Low Point
- Dynamic Loft
- Vertical Descent Angle
- Speed Profile
- Acceleration Profile
I won’t go back through all of the points from the original review since if you want to read it you can just follow here and have a read. What I can tell you is since writing the article I have spent countless hours using the Mevo+ for both my own game improvement as well as gear analysis. I can tell you without any doubts that it has been nothing but positive investment and addition to my golf gear.
The fact that FlightScope has been able to provide an enhancement brining the Mevo+ another leap forward should make this a must have if you are looking for a serious launch monitor without spending serious dollars.
- Flightscope Edition Launch Monitor, Rangefinder and Simulator: The FlightScope Mevo+ is a launch monitor and simulator that uses patented FlightScope Fusion Tracking technology to provide golfers with accurate golf performance data. Fusion Tracking technology is an innovative combination of 3D Doppler tracking radar technology and synchronized high speed image processing that helps provide users with the most accurate and consistent data for every shot - indoors and outdoors.
- Practice with Purpose: Dial In Your Distance with 20+ Full Swing and Short Game Data Parameters which can be utilized on one of the 17 Practice Ranges Included, or play one the 10 - E6 Connect Golf Courses which are included! Enhance your golf simulation experience and play courses, games, head-to-head matches, and more, online against anyone in the world.
- FlightScope Multicam: Automatically record and sync videos from multiple cameras for instant review on your iOS devices. Connect up to three mobile devices plus your FlightScope Mevo+ internal camera for the ultimate video experience. Use video and data together in all your teaching and fitting sessions to provide a unique experience for all your students, members, and customers. Draw lines and circles as well as send videos directly to your customer after the session.
- FS Golf for PC - Included with Mevo+ Plus 2023 Edition: A comprehensive and customizable PC app allowing users to teach, fit, and practice with radar data, video capabilities, 3D trajectories, and more, all included with your Mevo+ purchase. View your data for every shot in a comprehensive table that includes averages and standard deviations. Use your averages and standard deviations to identify areas to improve and monitor progress over time.
- Improve with FS Skills: Evaluate your game with the most advanced and customizable combine assessment available. Designed to be the ultimate and most advanced assessment of a golfer's skill level. Use Skills to determine accuracy and skill level for benchmarking and compare performance with players around the world. Practice with a purpose by choosing target size, location, and point values for innovative sessions based on identified weaknesses.
Garmin Approach R10
The Approach R10 represents Garmin’s initial product offering into the launch monitor market. Launched in the second half of 2021 the R10 has already been very well received amongst many golf enthusiasts. This really should come as no surprise since Garmin has been consistently amongst the front runners in combining golf and GPS and tracking technologies for many years now. With the R10 Garmin has delivered perhaps the best price vs performance ratio in the personal golf launch monitor market today.
When we finally got our hands on the R10 the first thing we noticed is the simplistic and eye catching design. The magnetic tripod mount is secure and stabilizes the unit extremely well making it a fuss free set up which is not always the case with portable launch monitors.
As mentioned, to date ithas been unheard of that a personal launch monitor anywhere near this price could track 14 different metrics but the Approach R10 has changed the game. During our trials we set the R10 up alongside the my Mevo+ and we were able to consistently produce numbers that we deviating Approach R10 between the two launch monitors by 1-2%.
There have been some comments regarding reduced accuracy while using indoors. While I don’t feel there should be any performance drop off as compared to the other portable units in this respect all of our trials were performed outdoors so we can’t validate this for certain.
Like other portable units you do require a smartphone/iOS device to be able to run the R10 but the device easily pairs with the Garmin golf app being the hub to enable all functionality. While we concentrated on how it performed on the range the Approach R10 is packed with additional functionality and perks such as E6 Connect compatibility, a massive course library for simulation use including tournament possibilities, statistics tracking and video editing options. Some of these do require additional fees but there really is no end to how far you can go with the R10.
So, if you are looking for a top end personal launch monitor at a fraction of the cost you would expect than the Garmin Approach R10 is currently we feel the best option available on the market.
- Work to improve your game at home, indoors or on the driving range with a portable launch monitor .Waterproof : IPX7.Control Method:Application,VoiceWater Resistant: Yes.Club Head speed accuracy : plus/- 3 mph, Ball speed accuracy : plus/- 1 mph, Launch angle accuracy : plus/- 1 degree, Launch direction accuracy : plus/- 1 degree.
- Track key metrics when paired with a compatible smartphone with the Garmin Golf app to help better your shot consistency, including club head speed, ball speed, swing tempo, ball spin, launch angle and more
- Understand your golf strengths and areas for improvement by using training mode, which tracks stats for each club and shows a shot dispersion chart based on estimated ball flight using the Garmin Golf app
- See and analyze your own swing with automatically recorded video clips that include the metrics of that swing when paired with a compatible smartphone with the Garmin Golf app
- With an active subscription and the Garmin Golf app, play virtual rounds on over 42,000 courses around the world and take part in a weekly tournament with scores posted to our global leaderboard
- Included phone mount easily attaches to a golf bag for better viewing and easier interaction with the Garmin Golf app