Our best golf rangefinder 2021/2022 is the last of our four core rangefinder articles. It is our find all rankings list for all of the rangefinders we reviewed in this cycle. There is no top three here but a list that catches the top three as well as all of the overflow from all of our core rangefinder 2021/2022 rankings.
The other core ranking lists for rangefinder’s include:
Our intention here it to track the best rangefinders on the market irrespective of cost.
Understanding that many golfers’ budgets have limits here we are looking to maximize performance while minimizing the cost. We set our price ceiling at USD 150.
Slope calculation has become a norm across all lines of todays rangefinders. We have seen that the inclusion of GPS technology is where the premium offerings have now set their targets.
For this and all the above rankings we will stick to focusing products launched in the latter part of the year. Then come this time next year we will move everything forward to our 2022/2023 rankings. We have seen this gives us a couple of advantages. Firstly, it gives us a better chance to follow many of the manufacturer’s product life cycles. And secondly, it allows us to get our templates in order during off-peak season. So when things heat up we can maintain our focus on golf and product reviews .
You do need to keep in mind that it is at times difficult to judge different rangefinders at par when prices may be USD 500 apart. For any gear to make our lists it must have its merits. Of course with an exponential price tag comes a different set of expectations on performance and features. What you can be assured of is the rangefinders on this list will get the job done. Some may just have flashier was of doing it.
The last point we would like to mention is that while there are other GPS/rangefinder devices such as golf watches that in some part do a similar job, here we strictly consider “traditional” rangefinders in our rankings.
Garmin Approach Z82
We had our hands on many rangefinders in 2021. But after all the trials there was little doubt that the Garmin Approach Z82 stood above the rest. There was just too much technology and features packed into this rangefinder to be overlooked.
We can start by saying it is the only rangefinder in our rankings with GPS and when coupled with the 41K preloaded courses in the Approach Z82 you never are in doubt of not only the distance to the flag but are instantly aware of the flag position and shape of the green as well as all of the hazards along the way. The imagery and graphic display of all of the information is intelligently done so not to make it cumbersome for the times you just want a straight reading of the distance to the flag.
The Approach Z82 keeps pace with the market standard 6X magnification but the clarity of the image when looking in the rangefinder is a notch above most. One of our group compared it to be looking at a monitor. And with the image stabilization finding the flag even at the Approach Z82’s 450-yard range is manageable without much effort. It is slightly larger than the other option’s on our rankings but it fits comfortably in the hand and automatically turns on when you take a proper grip of the unit.
What most golfers are looking for these days from their rangefinder is slope calculations to give a hand for those holes when towering over a green. The Approach Z82 not only is able to calculate slope but when coupled with the Garmin golf app can also factor in the current wind conditions to give you the most accurate distance evaluation possible.
And then accuracy…… an unreal +/- 10 inches!!! This is of course a level of accuracy that is far beyond what more than most golfers can exert on the flight of a golf ball. However, the bigger point is the demonstration of just how well the Z82is made.
While some prefer the changeable lithium battery I will side with the environment and support Garmin’s internal rechargeable lithium-ion battery. With approximately 15 hours of charge there is more than enough time to find yourself the occasion to recharge the unit.
The only place where we felt that the Approach Z82 did not hit the mark was on the warrantee. At one year it is the we might have expected a little more. Now having said it, we have yet to have a reason to exercise the warrantee after more than a year’s constant use.
There are many other great features in the Z82 such as the find my Garmin application that allows you to track the GPS via your mobile device in the case it would fall from your bag and tournament mode that quickly disables the slope functionality to be compliant with golf regulations.
If we have not done enough to convince you then I would suggest you get your hands on one and give it a test for yourself because it really is a great piece of equipment.
- Most accurate laser range finder on the market within 10” of the flag, up to 450 yards
- Image stabilization makes it easier to find and range the flag for precise distances to the pin; vibrational feedback lets you know when you’ve locked in
- Full-color 2-D CourseView mapping for more than 41,000 courses worldwide overlaid on the viewfinder
- The Laser Range Arc feature draws an arc on the 2-D CourseView map at the distance the laser ranged, so you can see everything in play at that distance
- Hazard view allows you to quickly scroll through each hazard on the map
Nikon COOLSHOT PROII STABILIZED
The Nikon COOLSHOT PROII Stabalized was launched in the second half of 2021 and quickly has made its mark in the rangefinder market. It has a 6X magnification and great optics providing great clarity and contrasts when homing in on the pin even at long range. With lock on flag capabilities greater than 400 yards even the longest hitters will never have to worry about accurate distance measurements. And with a .75-inch distance measuring accuracy the camera is bound to outperform the most capable golfers.
The PROII uses a CR2 3-Volt Lithium Battery power source and is pegged at 2200 uses so it should not be something that needs to be managed too often. Nonetheless we always prefer to keep the spare battery tucked away in the golf bag to avoid any needless hassles.
The fog and waterproofing of the PROII is top notch so you really don’t have to worry about the elements with this rangefinder. Add the fact that the PROII is backed with a market leading 5-year warrantee should remove any concerns you have about its performance and durability.
While retailing at about 25% less, we found the slope and anti-shake features performance at par with Garmin’s Z82, which is another rangefinder we are very high on, so your demands in these areas should be met and perhaps exceeded.
Borrowing technology from Nikon’s innovative cameras and lenses, the COOLSHOT PROII counteracts hand shake and environmental factors to steady both your view and the ranging laser. It’s easier to find your target, and it’s easier to lock onto it.
HYPER READ technology provides near-instant measurements (approx. 0.3 seconds) that are comfortably visible within the bright, crystal-clear OLED display. Explore more options for your shots without slowing down your game.
Slope-adjustment when you want it.
Turn on ID (incline/decline) mode, and your distance will factor in slope, crucial for uphill and downhill shots. When slope must be off for competitive play, an onboard Actual Distance Indicator (ADI) LED signals compliance.
A little bad weather or rain won’t keep you off the course, and it won’t stop the COOLSHOT PROII from performing.
Get the lay of the land.
Press and hold the power button for continuous measurement mode to see distances in real-time as you survey your surroundings (up to 8 seconds). Know the exact distance of trees, water features, sand traps and other hazards.
Years of great play.
The COOLSHOT PROII is backed by one of the best warranties available. Season after season, you’re covered.
Other specifications include:
- 8-1,200 yd. Measurement Range Distance
- ±0.75m/yd. Accuracy (shorter than 700 m/yd.)
- 6x Magnification
- 21mm Effective objective diameter
- 7.5°Angular Field of View
- 1 CR2 Lithium battery (DC 3V) power source
- Automatic power shut-off (after approx. 8 sec. unoperated)
- Dimension 3.9 in. x 1.7 in. x 3.0 in.
- 6.3 oz weight (Without Batteries)
- Waterproof (up to 1m/3.3 ft. for 10 minutes)
- Battery chamber is rainproof – JIS/IEC protection class 4 (IPX4) equivalent
- Battery Life Approx. 2,200 actuations (at approx.68°F)
- STABILIZED Counteracts hand shake and other environmental factors to steady the view and ranging laser
- DUAL LOCKED ON ECHO Visual and audio cue that you are ranging the flag and not something behind it
- HYPER READ laser provides quick and stable measurement response regardless of the distance in .3 seconds or less
- Waterproof and Fogproof
- ID TECHNOLOGY Delivers the one number you need for your best shot to account for incline or decline shooting angles
Gogogo Sport GS34-W-1200
The GS34 Black is a new offering into the budget rangefinder segment from Gogogo sport. While the name may not have the same brand recognition that some of the top tiered manufactures have, they have over the last years introduced many solid offerings to the market.
While the latest offering comes with an 800- and 1200-yard version we are sold on paying the few extra dollars taking the latter. It has actually nothing to do with gaining 400 yards but rather the inclusion of the red display that is the deal clincher. We took out both versions out in in overcast as well as bright conditions and there is no question that the high transmission Adaptive OLED red display is significantly better.
Especially when looking into those greens where the flag is seemingly blended into the background there is absolutely no reason to not spend the extra few dollars and make the problem go away. Additionally, the internal display automatically adjusts for the conditions at hand. You never need to struggle reading the distances being displayed and can get on with your game. Maybe some are less stressed and conscious about their surroundings than I am but I hate having to stand taking measurement after measurement while golfers stand around and wait.
There is a lot to like about the GS34-1200 but what also differentiates it from many of the other rangefinders is its use of a CR123 battery. With roughly 60% more power than the CR2 battery you need to even worry less about your charge running out. While this may lead to the rangefinder being slightly heavier due to the larger sized battery the GS34-1200 still is comfortable to grip and keep steady.
Some of the other GS34-1200 features include:
- Slope calculation with on/off switch
- High transmittance Adaptive OLED red display
- Low battery reminder
- 6x magnification
- +/- 1 yard accuracy
- Scan Mode
- Pulse Vibrations
- 1 Year Warranty
Even the 1200-yard version comes competitively priced in the middle of the price range so this should not be a barrier for most. The fact is this is an extremely competitive market segment with many of the rangefinders having almost interchangeable specifications. So, when we find a rangefinder doing something a little different and doing it well, we are happy to recommend you to take an extra look and see if it just what you have been looking for.
- Accurately lock the flag: in golf mode (mode 2), it will display the shortest distance within the scan range, so you don't have to worry about locking the target behind the flagpole; after stopping scanning, the slope and slope compensation distance will be displayed
- Adaptive OLED red display: the darker the environment, the more obvious the red display; you don't have to worry about not seeing the numbers displayed on the rangefinder, when you play golf at night or the plants near the target are too dark (only GS34-1200 rangefinder has red display)
- With slope switch: according to the rules of the game, you can turn off or on slope compensation, whether you are a professional golfer or a novice golfer, this rangefinder is a good choice
- High transmittance LCD: GS34-1200 adopts high transmittance liquid crystal display to give you a clearer view (GS34-800 adopts ordinary LCD)
- Adjust focus: 6x magnification, the focus can be adjusted by rotating the eyepiece to make view clear
- Wider application: suitable for golf, hunting, bow hunting, archery, target shooting and mountain climbing